Thursday, March 10, 2011

BACK and then gone and then BACK

                            This is a Picture of me in latvia....its a cold country ok.


If not sleeping was a sport (which I’m pretty sure it is somewhere) then l am on track to win a gold medal. After a very long flight and then a very, very long train ride, l arrived back in the land of the Nords. It was a really nice and relaxed homecoming. What l did not enjoy trying to stay awake ‘til the night to try and get my sleep pattern back on track but a girls gotta do what a girl has gotta do.

While the homecoming was nice and relaxed, warm it wasn’t. Turned out that the power cord that goes to my trailer house was caked with about 5 inches of solid ice and somewhere in that mess was a rip in the cord, giving me a chilled ice box of a home. So now l find myself living inside, which I’m sure my mother is happy about, and I gotta say I’m enjoying the comforts of having a sink right outside the door...ohhh the little things.

It was not a long stay in Norway though but a rather busy one as we prepared to head off to Latvia. We started by loading a semi-truck with tons and tons and tons of clothes and food and even a random piano that someone donated. Upon arriving in Latvia we joined over 250 other people from 12 different nations. We were all sharing the floor of a gym hall for sleeping and prepping the donations.



I cannot even start to tell you of the amazing time l had. All together we packed up and handed out over 1000 food bags and served about 2000 people with clothes, all in a matter of 4 days. It was extremely busy and tiring to the bone. It was one of those trips that mussels that you didn’t even know you had sore.

I came out of it thinking that this is what l want to do with the rest of my life. It is rare that you find yourself working on something and then you get to see the results of that work so fast. Honestly it was one of the best experiences of my life. Since I don’t have room for much more in this post, et me share a few keywords that all lead to stories I wish I could tell; 103 year old woman, Pasta Queen, Orange Work Shorts Cape and Latvians drink ALOT of coffee.

I wish l had the time to sit down with each one of you and convince you to come with me next year to Latvia, cause it will change your life. We are back in Norway now in full swing again trying to get this darn DTS ready for outreach. They head out soon. Maybe by then the ice will melt and I can get the power back to my trailer.

1 comment: